attended to different shmooze-fests last night. two! lots of literati. ended up at my favorite piano bar.
there were some minor hilarities at play. involving air-born shoes and whatnot. i perhaps should have gone easier on the martinis.
(did i mention that the booze was free?) in other happenings, my apartment is back under my control. ha! and i'm off to the berkshires for the weekend.
things about which i am confused:
- underpass versus overpass.
- watts versus volts.
- gulch versus gully. (i should admit that this is a.'s and not mine. but it confuses me as well.)
inscription in fort tryon park:
For Hilde Oldenburg
A relentless weeder
in the heather garden.
musketeer, wild west, dali.
i am in awe. check out the facial hair.
there is a reason for the lag-time.let's just say that i have, in a very unpleasant manner, lost control over my living situation. and my sleep.one mitigation: i made my first black-and-white prints today. made! as with invisible ink! i had to leave them to dry in the photo lab. in the photo lab, i feel a bit like an imposter who has shown up to orchestra rehearsal with a tin-whistle and the sheet music for "hot cross buns." and have i mentioned that everyone in the orchestra is younger than me? nonetheless, i have some objects, and they have lights and lines and i am amazed.
new:- glasses.- blinds.- photo class.wonderous:- i cooked a whole chicken.- the sigur rós concert last night.
back to it. excellent chaos.
salinger's perception of sibling relationships is accurate and lovely, at least in my experience of them.
exhibitionism + hesitancy = clickclick.
four ferry trips, one hotel, seven campsites, one elderly couple's home (and an episode of canadian idol), some-odd tanks of gas, some-odd miles, some grief (in memoriam, adored teacher), and one mostly-working van later, i have returned to new york.
- sleeping in the van.
- whales (and seals and porpoises and hikes and lobster and mussels and chowder and scallops and . . .)
- mud flats at fundy national park and the hopewell rocks.
- whale-watching off of grand manan island.
- lobster dinner in the basement of a church in prince edward island.
- dulse, a seaweed-snack.
obligatory superlative-laden sights, viewed:
- world's longest covered bridge (hartland, new brunswick. the accompanying pamphlet contains an extraordinary piece of travel writing entitled the legend of sal, the famous flying salmon).
- world's longest bridge (connecting new brunswick to prince edward island).
- world's biggest lobster (a sculpture in shediac, new brunswick).
- brit-bird man.
- drinking canadian beer at a spectacular campsite in cape breton (complete with out-houses) and the resulting picture that brother #2 would not let brother #1 and i save.
- magnetic hill (canada's third-largest tourist attraction? oh dear. "that is not a good prize.")
- buy a motorcycle and a tent and drive.
so, yes, alright, i know that everyone who actually glances at this site already knows what i look like. i break down. i'll post some photos.